Wednesday 3 June 2015

Music & Creating Memories

Music is the soundtrack of memories. I don't know if it's scientifically proven, but for so many people, it's just a fact that with a certain song may arise a certain memory.
I've been thinking philosophically a lot over the past few days, and well, I feel I'm onto something.

I'm not a scientist, but I know this: with certain songs, if played over and over again in close proximity within a certain period of time, you'll find that track reminds you of a certain summer, a particular holiday or period in your life. A particular summer #1 hit inevitably will become the 'anthem' of the summer. In a few years time, when you hear that track, suddenly certain happy or sad memories may come to you which you may have completely forgotten. The way you felt towards certain people, your outlook on life... all of which the nostalgia that you feel entails.

However- how does the 'single-play song' theory work? That if, say, at a party, someone plays a certain song, and when you hear that song again you're reminded of a particular event at the party (let's say, a little dance with some spice you met.) When you hear that song, you imagine that dance and the emotions you felt. The same as a certain song may remind you of when the band played that in concert, or at a festival set.
Now- in this situation, does the one song theory only work because the memory is powerful- not the song in particular? Does the song come secondary to the memory?
Whereas, in the case of the song played many times over a period, is it that the song is what brings the memory up, and the music which rekindles a memory?

I don't know if I'm explaining myself well. I don't know if this is a worthy blog post. But there is a moral to this- music is integral when it comes to memories. Music is a staple.
So, I urge you to compile playlists for summer, winter, revision time, anything. The songs involved don't have to be hits of the time, they can be songs that fit the mood (motivational, summery, whatever). Memories are so much easier to remember with the aid of music and well, does anyone want to sit at the end of their life, having forgotten so many wonderful memories to look back on and know it's been a good life?

Memories are evidence of, well, living. Of having done something worth remembering. Can music help that? When I'm 90, will the opening bells of 'Do You Realize??' by The Flaming Lips bring back the same summer memories, the feelings I had towards certain people and what meant most to me? Will I remember walking through a wood lit up by fairy lights, under the blanket of a starry night, with one person who seemed to mean everything at the time?

Even though everything will be different, even if those people mean nothing to me by that point, even if I regret those things, if I am quite lucky enough to rekindle those memories through the power of music- to me, that seems like nothing but a positive thing.
One can only hope, but it's worth a try.

Some food for thought. Happy Wednesday.

-Ella





No comments:

Post a Comment