Monday 30 March 2015

SOTW: Nobody's Empire ~ Belle and Sebastian

Hello!

Sorry to not post on Sunday, but on Monday. Mondo '77 got me a bit through last week, but I still can't say it was the easiest of weeks. Maybe I'm under a curse, or experiencing bad karma for something I've done in the past. I'll improve, and hopefully such a stream of bad news and happenings won't bring me down again.
But I digress.


Song of the Week - Nobody's Empire by Belle and Sebastian

Love its understated positivity.

A classic C G Am F chord pattern, played on a soft, clean electric guitar, reflective lyrics, effective, clear use of reverb especially on the vox.
In the intro- is that castanets, or an extremely short, fast rim shot, or clave beat we hear? It sounds fantastic, it's the subtleties...

I hate for my first two SOTW posts to be so linked, seeing as the Belle and Sebastian bassist was who put together the band Looper. But this is another positive song that maybe someone out there needs.

I was lucky enough to see Belle and Sebastian at End of the Road festival two years ago, even though I had only heard a couple of songs before and more wanted to see them out of interest. It was a really good gig though, and the crowd really enjoyed it. I listened to some more of their stuff (Again, BBC R6 is handy here for finding the best songs).

Belle and Sebastian are a Scottish predominantly Indie Pop band. Their latest album (Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance), which features this song, was released in January, so is out now! Give it a listen.

Here's 'Nobody's Empire' on YouTube...


On Spotify here.
And on Soundcloud here.


Have a great week!

-Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment