Sunday 5 April 2015

SOTW: I'll Be There ~ Chic

Hellooo,


Yes, the main question is why I didn't do this track as Song of the Week about three weeks ago. The truth is that I completely forgot to mention this song, even though I've been obsessive over it.

As a complete 80s freak, the fact I forgot this is very unnatural and unlike me.


Song of the Week - I'll Be There by Chic


Oh my god. This new single is next level amazing. It's a classic Chic track with its brass, its Nile Rodgers guitar, strings section, vocals, break down section and of course a funky bass line. It's like everything we expect of Chic, without feeling the same- it's a completely new track, but has all those conventions we know and love.

Thing about this one, is that it brings together the past 30 years of Chic...bringing back little iconic lines: 'everybody dance', 'the clock keeps turning'... amazing. It does leavs you feeling slightly emotional and nostalgic as well
(I know I'm not from the 80s era. But as someone who has grown up listening to Chic thanks to parents.)

I'll mention it now, seeing as I haven't already- Chic at Glastonbury 2013 is my favourite ever festival set, and has remained it since I saw it on the night. That bass player was so on fire that he looked in pain as he played 'Everybody Dance'.

What saddens me, however, is this feels like this is the final ever Chic single. It's not subtle- the lyrics are about goodbyes, about loyalty, about always 'being there', and the repetition, samples of previous hits and references to previous points in Chic's career really hit home.


'Smash after smash after smash
I appreciate all the gifts I was given
Now I don't wanna live in the past
But it's a nice place to visit'


It's clearly about moving on from the past and entering the future.

And with Nile Rodgers' now being 62 (but not looking it), he may be looking to let himself retire in the near future. After all, he's battled prostate cancer, still keeping up with the music. He has a well earned break waiting for him when he does bring Chic to an end. I'm sure he'll continue being a legend of the music business, no matter what he's doing.

But at least we can all say that there couldn't have been a much better song to potentially finish such an iconic music career on. Long live the legacy of (in my opinion) the greatest disco band of all time.



You won't regret it. Listen to 'I'll Be There' here:



On Spotify here.
Aaaand here's an awesome extended club version of it on Soundcloud here.


My favourite Song of the Week yet. And I got next week's all lined up (it's date appropriate. Hint: 14/04).

Until next week!

-Ella


PS: This is all extremely appropriate, as I'm performing Good Times again with friends and family next weekend. It's been played a healthy amount of times, once even with a family and friend-formed group of 18. There were two drummers, one amazing bass player, two pianists, three guitarists, four of us playing percussion and a whole load of vocalists. It sounded insane. In a great way. Good times.)





No comments:

Post a Comment