Thursday 9 April 2015

Secrets of London ~ Tea and Tattle

Labelled teapots...and snapchat captions. Apologies.

Gooood evening-

Whilst most of my posts are music-based, I can't help but do the odd review of something else once in a while. In the future, hope I can do a few more like this.

Now- when given the concept of afternoon tea, I tend to visualise a pricey trip to the Ritz, where you're fed cakes and tea until you're stuffed for the next two days, and probably can't look at cake for a week. Afternoon tea is at least £50 each there- and well, I think I've found a lovelier, maybe less pretentious little place, for much less than half the price.

Last week, I had a friend from Wiltshire to visit- so had to do the classic trip to London. Like complete tourists, we hit Oxford Street for a while, visited Buckingham Palace...and I insisted on the prospect of afternoon tea. So for the second time, I had a lovely trip to Tea & Tattle, a lovely little underground café (it feels wrong to simply label it a café, but there's no other word for it), based around Tottenham Court Road, by the British Museum. 

Coffee & Walnut Cake...my favourite...notice the half gone homemade lemonade in the background.
For around £15 a person- you'll get your cup of tea/coffee (unfortunately I had coffee instead of tea, which was lovely, but my friend Issy referred to her tea as some of the best she'd had), little sandwiches (triangles and everything), scones (with clotted cream, obviously, and a choice of jams), a glass of their (amazing) homemade lemonade and polished off with a slice of cake. And it's all deliciously served to you in a tiny little underground location by friendly staff.

My scones...with raspberry and vanilla jam. Truly amazing.

It is a tiny little café, so would not rely on just walking in- but very easy to book online (we booked the night before and got a table for 3pm no trouble). This little spot is perfect for the afternoon tea experience, but a little more original, a little bit cuter, and a whole lot less expensive.
The cake is moist, the sandwiches are cutely cut, and the scones (pronounced sconns, not scohhnes)...best I've had. 
All served on pretty china plates and teacups. The staff also were very friendly. Their tomato, brie and ham toasted sandwiches were perfection!

So if you're a little unsure on what to do in London - Tea & Tattle is recommended. You can even do a little trip to the British Museum after...

Until next time,

-Ella

The obligatory 'sippin tea' picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment